Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Scopitone Rising

Punch-Drunk Love plays a lot better for me now than when I originally saw it when it came out. I was inspired to re-watch it because my friend Ramses sent me an interesting article about the film from Senses of Cinema. The other factor that inspired me to revisit Punch-Drunk Love is the hoopla over the release of Paul Thomas Anderson new film There Will Be Blood.

Punch-Drunk Love is flawed by it’s very nature. The flights of fancy and whimsical moments in the film still throw me off, though I admittedly enjoy them. It’s also rather strange to see Adam Sandler so vulnerable in a motion picture. It’s still his career best.

A worthy film in a great auteur’s filmography. Punch-Drunk Love is the first film where Paul Thomas Anderson has abandoned his homage’s to Robert Altman and Martin Scorsese and announces that he will only be influenced by himself.

No comments: