Friday, December 28, 2007

Little Children

I don’t understand why some parents are so determined to take their children to films that are intended for mature audiences only. I was reading a member’s post on an internet bulletin board recently about how their young child is “very mature” and is very excited to see Tim Burton’s adaptation of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

I’m sorry but your six year old child doesn’t need to see a motion picture that was clearly made for adults. He won’t understand it. He’ll be horrified. Let your kid be a kid.

These parents have this fantasy of turning their little children into little versions of themselves. It’s a sickness really.

1 comment:

Gerard said...

Are you frigging kidding me?! Six?!?! Hell, I loved horror flicks and whatnot when I was a kid, but at six I was working my way through the Universal classics - more atmospheric than clinically violent, as I hear Sweeney's throat slashings and bodyslides are. Six?! I'd say I'd be waiting til my kid (should ever a 'my kid' come to exist) was at least 12 before I'd even consider letting them watch something with graphic gore, no matter how mature they were. Again, I loved it as a kid, but six is just ridiculous.

People. We all deserve to die.

:P