Friday, December 21, 2007

The Ballad of Sweeney Todd

Zodiac, Hairspray, and No Country for Old Men cannot hold a candle to the magnificent mayhem that is Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. The film lived up to it’s up and more. I now have a new favorite film of 2007.

I’ve been madly in love with the material ever since I discovered it while in high school. Burton’s film is incredibly faithful, yet slightly different in the right places so that it’s not just a record of the stage show. Stephen Sondheim should be very proud. More people will see it this opening weekend than they saw it during it’s original run on Broadway in 1979. That just warms my heart knowing that Sondheim will reach such a large audience in such a short time.
The whole cast knocks it out of the park. I couldn’t imagine any other actors in the roles. If Johnny Depp isn’t nominated for Best Actor, I’ll riot at the Kodak Theater. His voice is excellent for the film. It’s rawness only enhances the film. The same can be said for Helena Bonham Carter who delivers a Mrs. Lovett who is one sultry devil woman. She too deserves a nomination from the Academy.

I’m just so ecstatic right now. I just wanted the film to be “Rent-good”. That’s all I asked for… What a surprise to find out that Burton has managed to make a masterpiece from a masterpiece.

1 comment:

Gerard said...

Dan, SO brilliant to hear of your love for the film! Being an Aussie, I have to wait a full month for its release over here, but I am positively ecstatic to learn the film has not only met your lofty expectations, but greatly exceeded them! Stupendous!